Stumble Upon

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Follow the Signs

In an old Steve Martin film, LA Story, his character is asking for a “sign.” He finds it on the side of a freeway, a blinking directional sign, a kind of modern oracle to guide him. I can relate.

In times when life seemingly presents no answers, I grope for them anyway and somehow they appear when I least expect them and in the unlikeliest of places.

Coming from the doctor’s office, something prompts me to glance at the rear window of the car beside mine, with a sticker that asks, “Have you thanked God today?” There it is—the message at a time when I’m at a loss for solutions to my child’s serious health problem.

And the signs and their messages keep coming. After an eye-check up, I glance at a parked car’s bumper which shouts,
“Got Faith?” More questions to remind me that I have the answers within me.



Driving on the way to teach my multi-cultural, adult college class of Muslims, Hispanics, African-Americans, and Caucasians: a composite of soldiers back from multiple Middle East tours of duty; single parents, some never been married; some from inner-city projects and gangs; some who have served time—all wanting better lives through education and a coveted degree.

It’s a daunting challenge and responsibility to teach to this diverse population and their mismatched skill levels.

I’m waiting at a stoplight thinking about this night’s class, and to my right I see a church’s corner sign that reads, “Do More Good.” No specifics, no details or steps to take…just do more good. Seems so simple, yet profound, reminding me of what I can do.

I have learned that when I need them, the signs appear. I just have to follow them.

Copyright © Erana Leiken, 2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Photo by Asif Akbar

3 comments:

  1. Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...Yep, I hear this one LOUD and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you my friend, are always an excellent sign post that I look forward to. I like that 'do more good.' You are so right about just noticing, there everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow when did LA Story become an old movie....LOL. Honestly I believe there are signs all around us. It's just taking the time to notice them. I also believe that every person is in our life for a reason & our challenge is to discover it.

    Thanks for sharing & keep looking the answers will appear!

    Hugs,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete